I saw many people searching for an answer to this question. Well, the short answer is not necessarily. This isn’t mandatory, but in most traditions, yes, the groom’s father has to give a speech at his son’s wedding.
Before I show you a simple template for the groom’s father speech, first it’s important that you should know the wedding speech order. You’re probably wondering why this is important. Well, it’s important because your toast will contain references to the people that spoke before you and the ones that will follow. For example, the bride’s father is usually the one to open the wedding toasts ceremony and you will come after that. So you can refer to him in your speech, and you will. So, here’s the order of the wedding speeches:
- first one to go is the father of the bride
- then the mother of the bride, but this is optional – it’s not included in the traditional weddings
- you’re next – the father of the groom
- your wife – the mother of the groom, but this is also not a traditional speech
- the groom will follow you
- the bride can say a few words, if she wants, but usually she stands up with the groom when he gives the toast and he says it all
- bridesmaid speech is also not a traditional one, but if the bride insists, one of the bridesmaids can give a toast
- best man speech – the last and the funniest one
These are the 8 most common speeches. But the traditional ones are 1, 3, 5 and 8. We’ll talk more about the wedding speech order in a following article.
So, you’re following the bride’s parents. They go first because they’re the hosts, since they paid for the wedding. Here’s the typical groom’s father toast template:
- Being preceded by the bride’s parents, you’ll start your speech by thanking them for the opening toast, for the nice things they said about the groom (assuming they said) and for all the time, money and energy they invested in the wedding preparation.
- Next, you will also thank to all the people for coming to the wedding. It’s a big day for your son and his wife and all the guests present at this big event put aside their things in order to make it to the wedding.
- Then, you will share a few stories and funny moments from the groom’s childhood, but make sure the funny moments you share aren’t embarrassing for the groom. Keep it funny, but don’t cross the limit.
- Then, put in a few nice words about the bride. Compliment her a bit, she likes that, especially since this is one of the most important days of her life.
- Close the speech by wishing the newlyweds a great honeymoon and a happy marriage together.
This is the most common father of the groom speech template. I saw a few examples of speeches that were like 10-15 minutes and contained lots of other things, but it’s a good rule of thumb to keep the speech under 5 minutes and focus only on the main, important things. If it’s someone allowed to give a longer speech, that’s the groom and the bride, because it’s their day, but usually the best man speech is the longer and the funnier and the most memorable one.